I was determined not to like it. After all. . .liking it is tantamount to placing my seal of approval on their cross-country move, right?
Okay, well, maybe not. And it did sound delicious!
K knows I make my own buttermilk, too, so this is definitely a healthier (and cheaper!!) alternative to regular ice creams (which really are my only 'sweet' downfall). And this recipe particularly rocks since buttermilk is the only dairy product that two of my four kids are allowed.
See my post here for how to have a continual, inexpensive supply of buttermilk.
Lemon Buttermilk Sherbert
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup light agave nectar, or 1/2 cup white sugar
- Mix ingredients together (ensuring sugar dissolves, if you are using it)
- Transfer mixture to an electric or manual ice cream maker.
- Wait for the magic to happen!
K assures me that making it with limes produces equally stunning results. Not sure I can pull myself away from this version to try, though. . .it's like eating summer sunshine!
(Photo courtesy of publicdomainpictures.net and can be found here)