The current conundrum? How to keep two boys, who are in a (perpetual!) growth spurt from going hungry while, at the same time, staying within our monthly budget.
Don't laugh. It's nearly impossible.
Seriously. . .trying to find healthy, inexpensive, FILLING snacks is nearly impossible. But we have no choice but to try. . .
The easy homemade crockpot yogurt I recently blogged about (here) is a wonderful option. Low in fat, high in protein, and chock full of fabulous probiotics, it's a WHOLE lot cheaper to make at home than to buy in the store, too.
But sometimes, the kids want something besides a cup of yogurt. . .so I make home made 'gogurt' style yogurt tubes. They are particularly awesome in the summer, but my kids like them all year round. I usually make a gallon of yogurt at a time and save half for fresh eating and make half into gogurts. Here's how:
- Large Spoon
- 20-24 Small Baggies (snack size work best, but I didn't have any this time!)
- 1 Gallon-sized bag
- Bowls for each flavor
- Large Cookie sheet or tray
- Freezer :)
|Lemon, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Strawberry|
- 1/2 Gallon plain homemade yogurt
- Flavorings of your choice (jams/jellies/syrups/lemon/fruit puree/chocolate pudding mix, etc.)
- Separate your yogurt into the number of flavors you want to create. (If you use five bowls, you'll have about 4 go-gurts of each flavor, and if you use four, you'll have five.)
- Add flavoring to bowls and mix well (I used, for this batch, homemade strawberry no-sugar jam, homemade lemon, cinnamon and vanilla syrups, and a small box of chocolate pudding)
- Spoon yogurt into each baggie via a funnel (so it goes to the bottom of the bag rather than all over the sides)
- Squeeze out air, seal and roll each over to keep the yogurt in a tube shape
- Lay on your baking tray
- Continue until all your yogurt is in tubes and on the tray
- Put tray in the freezer
- When tubes are solidly frozen, remove tray and put in bag for freezer storage
- When wanting to eat, just cut one end open with scissors and enjoy!
|Ready for the Freezer!|