Enter my carpet cleaner.
Bought years ago when we lived in a house which was mostly carpeted, it has paid for itself about a million times over. Less than three uses and I was already saving money over renting a machine!
But for a (tragically) long time I paid the RIDICULOUS price for the special carpet cleaner solution. . .assuming that there had to be some very crucial formula required to work well in the machine AND not damage carpets.
I should have known better. Seriously. Shame on me!
Of COURSE there is a home made carpet cleaning solution! And it's a FRACTION of the cost of the stuff that is sold right next to the machines. Literally only pennies!! Here it is:
- Hot water (as hot as it comes from the tap)
- 2 Tablespoons White Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Hydrogen Peroxide (3%. . .the regular stuff you find in the first aid section)
- 1 Tablespoon Mild Dish Soap (Ivory/Dawn/etc. . .but make sure there is no BLEACH in the ingredients!)
- Add vinegar and peroxide to tank of cleaner
- Fill tank up with hot water from the tap
- Add dish soap (don't do it first, or you will have lots of foamy suds, and resist the temptation to add any more than the one tablespoon!)
- Replace tank in machine
- Clean as per your machine's directions!
Now just to figure out a home made recipe to PREVENT the muck in the first place!